To live useful, satisfying lives as we get older, it’s vital that we’re able to move around efficiently. Foot ailments make this difficult, if not impossible, for some seniors.
According to the National Center for Health Statistics, a leading cause of activity limitation in elderly people is impairment of the lower extremities. In fact, more than 25% of nursing home patients can walk only with assistance…or not at all.
The foot has been called the mirror of health. Many early signs of systemic conditions like diabetes, arthritis, and circulatory problems first appear in the feet. Among the signs and symptoms of those conditions are dry skin, brittle nails, numbness, tingling, discoloration, loss of leg hair, and cramping. If you should experience any of these symptoms, call your local podiatrist at A Step Ahead Foot & Ankle Center immediately.
Tips for Good Foot Health
Following are some tips to help you maintain good foot health care for aging feet:
- Bathe your feet with warm water and soap daily. Avoid rubbing your feet dry with the towel, instead, blot them with the towel until completely dry.
- Massage your feet with cocoa butter or lanolin cream to help the skin retain moisture and stay soft.
- Soak brittle nails before clipping or filing. This will not only make them easier to cut, but will also avoid them breaking too short — causing painful nail beds and ingrown toenails.
- Keep your feet warm and dry. Always wear socks with enclosed shoes as well as when going barefoot if you have bad circulation in your feet.
- Exercise carefully, but often. Walking is one of the best forms of exercise for your overall health, and the functionality of your feet and ankles.
- Wear comfortable shoes that fit appropriately. Rest your feet whenever possible by elevating them above your heart.
- Visit your local podiatrists at one of our four foot and ankle clinic locations for an annual foot exam.
Are you suffering from pain or discomfort in your feet or ankles? Call A Step Ahead Foot & Ankle Center today to schedule an appointment! Our foot specialists will help you keep your feet in the best condition possible.
ASA Treatment Facilities
The physicians and staff of the A Step Ahead Foot & Ankle Centers maintain two complete podiatric clinical facilities and provide 24-hour emergency service. We participate in most health plans including Blue Cross Blue Shield, Medicare, and Medicaid. Our experienced staff completes and files all necessary insurance forms, and make every effort to assure that you receive maximum benefits with minimum out-of-pocket expenses.
Contact Us Today!
If you are interested in receiving more information on how to properly care for your aging feet, call A Step Ahead Foot & Ankle Center today! One of our foot specialists will discuss your concerns with you or schedule an appointment for you to come into one of our foot and ankle clinics.